Saturday, October 22, 2011

birth story

my darling girl is snug as a bug in a rug right now, swaddled in a blanket and sleeping on her boppy next to me on the couch. jake, laura, and ava went to round rock to do some shopping, and my parents are running errands and getting a reservation at the renaissance for the night. so here i am, finally with a minute to write up leila's birth story. i want to do it now so i won't forget later.

and of course, it'd probably be good to know this is a reeeeal labor story, including some graphically anatomical terms. so you've been warned.

jake and i arrived at the hospital on thursday, october 13th at 7pm. i was still only 2cm and 50% effaced with a high cervix when i arrived and had my first dose of cytotec at 9pm with hopes that i would progress.

cytotec is taken every 4 hours so the nurses were checking my progress throughout the night. but alas, at 1am, 5am, and 9am, i was STILL only 2cm. i got another dose at 9am and was starting to get pretty discouraged. the nurse said they could give me up to 6 doses of the medicine, meaning i could still be 2cm into the evening. the monitors were picking up contractions with the cytotec, but nothing i could really feel. then at 1pm dr. meadows came in and broke my water. we were actually surprised, we didn't anticipate her coming in to do that at all.

once my water broke, the contractions started. i knew i wanted an epidural the moment it was available, but it turns out it wasn't available as soon as i was hoping! i had to get started on the pitocin for a while and intake an entire bag of fluids before it was an option. jake was really good during the 2 hours of contractions, but he joked his hand almost fell off because i was squeezing so hard. once i got the epidural life was carefree again!

the doctor came in at 4pm and i was excited to learn i was 4cm. she said that i should expect to progress at about a centimeter an hour. i loved my nurse brandi, and was sad her shift was ending at 7pm because i would probably only be about 7cm by then. at 5:30 i was on track with the centimeter an hour thing and was up to 5.5cm. then at 6pm, i felt like i was bleeding. i called the nurse and she said it was probably just amniotic fluid but would be in to check. when she checked, i was indeed bleeding like crazy. within 30 minutes i was up to 8cm! jake went out to the waiting room to tell our moms and my sisters, who had been in and out of the delivery room all day visiting with us. the nurse told me that if i felt more pressure to give her a buzz.

while jake was in the waiting and my sister steph was in the room, i felt like i was bleeding again and had a bit more pressure, but nothing significant. the nurse came in to check and said "jill, you are 10cm and i can feel the baby's head. you will have this baby in the next 30 minutes." steph rushed out to the waiting room to grab jake and by this time it was about 630pm. the man left the room for 5 minutes and suddenly i was having a baby!

by this time everyone involved in the delivery started bustling in the room. everyone except the doctor. my doctor had to leave at 5pm to pick up her son from daycare so someone else had to deliver our little peanut. the nurse instructed me to start pushing and the delivery began. after 10 minutes the nurse instructed me to stop because "half an inch of hair was hanging out and we needed the doctor." that cracked me up! when the doctor arrived i started pushing again and within 3 contractions, leila was here! when they said we only had one contraction left jake and i exchanged teary eyed glances and prepared for her arrival. i pushed for just under 10 minutes and only had a couple of stitches from tearing. the delivery was easy breezy, i didn't feel any pain whatsoever. all i could think was that pushing longer and harder would give us our baby girl even sooner. i will admit that there was one moment and scared the heck out of me. after the last push, i could see the doctor holding her and i could see the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck and shoulder but could not hear her cry. my mother's first child died during childbirth because the cord was wrapped around his neck. i wanted to cry but nobody else seemed to be concerned and i realized there was nothing to worry about.

they placed our mop top little girl on my stomach while jake and i admired her. they whisked her away a few moments later to clean her up and take care of me. jake watched them take care of her while i had my stitches put in. then we had a couple of minutes alone to admire leila. we allowed our mothers and my sisters to come into the room to say hello before i could breastfeed for the first time.

so far breastfeeding is going well. she latched on beautifully from the first moment and is still doing well. we're trying not to implement bottles until absolutely necessary. i hope this keeps up!

well that's all i've got for now, we'll see when i've got a free hand again. :-) later gators!


  1. Augh, you make me hope and wish my labor is like yours! Only about 7ish more weeks! Leila is beautiful. Congrats, again!

  2. Thanks for sharing! I am so glad it went well. -Rosie

  3. I'm pretty jealous of your labor. Way to make it look easy Jill!!

    Oh, and for just a second I thought you put a picture of E down there at the bottom. Just saying. They might be twins ;)

  4. Glad labor and delivery went well!! And she is absolutely perfect!

  5. Wow, so glad it went well for you. 10 minutes of pushing sounds like heaven. So happy for all three of you and hope you're adjusting to life as a family well.