Sunday, August 31, 2014

alex's birth story

well i am hanging out at home with alex, getting accustomed to real life again. the past week has been crazy and today is the start of our new normal. a new normal that involves an infant, almost three year old, two dogs, and two adults that don't know what they're doing with all of these lives in their hands! jk.

when i was in the hospital on thursday i actually pulled open leila's birth story so i could remember how everything went down that day. the basics were that i went in for induction at 2cm, took cytotec for 12 hours and made no progress with it, had my water broken at 1pm, went from 5.5cm to 10cm in an hour, and had my baby girl around 7pm.

alex's story is actually quite similar.

jake and i arrived at the hospital on thursday, august 28th at 6am. i was 2-3cm and 80% effaced at that time. they started giving me pitocin at 7:15am and the contractions didn't start right away. i was a solid 3cm at 9am when my doc came to break my water.

the contractions started coming every 2 min then, but as soon as i'd switch positions, they'd stop. around 10am i started walking around my room and listening to music. that got the contractions going, but at 12pm i was only at 4cm. i got an epidural at 1:30pm and figured i was at least at 5cm based on the strength of the contractions.

nope!

my doctor came in at 2pm and i was still 4cm. she was scheduled for an off-site surgery and figured she'd be back at the hospital by 3pm. none of us seemed concerned that i'd go into labor in that timeframe, although we knew it might happen quickly based on leila's delivery.

30 minutes later, i felt a huge loss of blood or amniotic fluid, half of my body was experiencing the worst contractions ever, i felt alex's head straight up ready to exit, and i knew i was ready to have a baby. the nurse came in and said i'd indeed gone from 4cm to 10cm in 30 minutes. buuut my doctor was still in surgery.

the contractions were so strong that it took everything in my power not to push. the nurse turned off the pitocin, the anesthesiologist came back to increase my meds, and the contractions stopped being painful. jake, the nurse, and myself literally sat in the room chatting and joking for the next 90 minutes while we waited for my doctor to return.

on one hand, it was annoying because i could've had my sweet boy even earlier. on the other, it gave me time to relax and be super ready for pushing.

when my doctor came back, we immediately got ready for the pushing. i pushed for 9 minutes and our son arrived! no tearing or stitches, thank goodness. just the easy delivery of a 6.5 pound little boy. it turns out alex wasn't growing very well at the end due to the placenta. it was small and deteriorating.

during the 90 minute wait for my doc we joked about who he'd look like. we wondered if he'd have black hair like leila did or brown like jake and myself. none of us ever suggested what we received- a redhead. that was the biggest surprise of his birth. super red hair. apparently the gene has to be on both sides of the family to get red hair. jake's mother and her siblings are redheads, so that wasn't surprising. i didn't know of any redheads in my family though. turns out it's from my dad's mom's side and one of his sisters had red hair.

well that's the birth story! we are beyond smitten with our little lad and can't wait to begin our journey with alex and his sister.


1 comment: